Night Owls is a themed open thread appearing at Daily Kos seven days a week.
Half a day until JOE BIDEN AND KAMALA HARRIS TAKE THE OATH OF OFFICE
Excerpts from the February Harper’s Index:
- Estimated amount spent on 2020 campaigns for the U.S. House of Representatives,Senate, and White House: $14,000,000,000
- Factor by which this exceeds the previous record for an election year: 2
- Estimated amount of global tax revenue lost each year to companies that incorporate in tax havens: $245,000,000,000
- To individuals who store their assets in tax havens: $182,000,000,000
- Percentage of Americans in a relationship who keep some of their money secret from their partner: 37
- Chance that an American knew someone who died of COVID-19 last year: 1 in 2
- Minimum percentage by which the U.S. birth rate is expected to fall this year: 8
- Estimated amount of carbon, in metric tons, produced each year by the sending and receiving of emails: 12,000,000
- By the sending and receiving of text messages: 7,000,000
- Portion of U.S. doctors and nurse clinicians who have retired early or plan to do so because of the pandemic: 1/5
- Percentage of U.S. workers over 55 who plan to delay their retirement because of the pandemic: 13
- Portion of U.S. remote employees who say they have been working harder than ever: 7/10
- Who say they have not felt as appreciated by their employer since they began working remotely: ½
THREE OTHER ARTICLES WORTH READING
“The people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”
~~Abraham Lincoln, Speech at Cooper Union, Feb. 27, 1860
On this date at Daily Kos in 2007—Lieberman Says He Will Filibuster With Republicans:
Once again the “independent Democrat” from Connecticut is burnishing his Republican credentials, this time by announcing that he will join in a filibuster against the Senate resolution opposing the escalation of troops in Iraq.
MS. BLOCK: Can you imagine a scenario where you would join in with a Republican filibuster to stop the resolution, if it comes to that?
SEN. LIEBERMAN: I can because I think that it – this is this important.
Calling the resolution, “phony,” Lieberman says:
I say to those who are opposed to what the president is now suggesting that they have a responsibility to do one thing: one is to come up with a better plan if they don’t like this one…
First, for the origin of this argument, go here. And Lieberman, like Bush and his acolytes, continue to ignore that there have been other plans put forward, such as the ones offered by John Murtha, Joe Biden, and Jack Reed. But of course their fatal flaw is that they don’t agree with the Bush plan to “stay the course, plus 21,500.”